Today marks my 21st birthday. When other women deem it necessary to hide their age, I am proud to say that I am 21. I believe in the saying: "a year older is a year wiser."
My 20th year on earth has been a very memorable year. Many things happened, things that I never expected. I met new faces, and they became my close friends. I learned valuable lessons, and embodied these in my everyday life. I grew emotionally and ideologically stronger. I opened my eyes to things that the status quo deems wrong (because of the neoliberal and feudal ideology the powerful states in this country) . I found the relevance of serving the masses, and learning from their experience.
My 20th year was also a test. In our College, my ideologies were challenged by the status quo prevailing within the student body. It challenged the truth of our actions and of our words. And in the end, that prevailing belief was crushed by what we have been saying. In the student politics, it challenged my strength, emotionally and ideologically. People (especially my closest friends) know me as one of the most sensitive persons, but this year I was able to stand tantamount of backbiting and debates. I was able to show them that I am strong and I will not let them crush my principles and my beliefs. I was able to show people that the beliefs I am holding to are correct. I was able to show them its basis--the experience of the masses.
Now that I am 21, challenges still exist. But now I am more prepared to face them. And with the guidance of my comrades, and the principles and lessons I have learned, I will continue fighting for the masses.
***
As of press time, several groups is holding a multi-sectoral mobilization against the implementation of the Human Security Act (HSA) at Plaza Miranda in Manila.
No comments:
Post a Comment